Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Not Born To Do It, But Going To Die Trying...


So...in high school I joined x-country on a bet/whim, and hated every minute of it. (Mostly because of the horrible coach...i don't even remember her real name, just the horrible nickname we gave her) It wasn't until I graduated from high school, I finally found that "relief" in running everyone is always talking about; the 'stress reliever,' the 'clear your mind,' 'calming' run. But TRUST ME that only happens on good days...REALLY good days. Most of the time I'm mentally bribing myself to finish my runs, or at least mentally tricking myself into thinking I love it.

so why am I brining all this running up?

As my roommate Stephanie and I were watching the NBC's "Biggest Loser: Family Edition" last week, we started feeling a little guilty hoarding down our dinners  while these people were working out and sweating, (We both get off work late ok? don't judge...) I thought of the brilliant plan! Instead of family edition, we could have roommate edition --where we would join hand in hand and fight this epidemic called obesity that is plaguing our great nation. Or just so we look better in swimsuits and get more male attention? Completely vain. I already told you to stop judging. (Sure, throw in the health factor as well if you must...)

After 2 seconds of discussions, we realized we couldn't just 'talk' about working out. it was almost as effective as watching the Biggest loser while eating leftover Halloween candy. We had to have a goal, something to train for. the D.C 1/2 Marathon!  Stephanie ran in the D.C. 1/2 marathon last year, and I wanted to join in on the action, but we both agreed that a full marathon was a bit too far off for now. Plus, its in March, so 4 1/2 months seemed like the perfect amount of time for training. It seems like everyone wants to run a marathon these days... Ophrah, P.Diddy... just hopping on the band wagon...woot woot!

Anyway great idea! 
At the time.

Try waking up at 6:15 and running outside in NY in the the middle of winter. BUT... like the biggest losers... I am determined and ready for the challenege.

SO... I make this very public post so that I do not back out:

March 21st - Washington D.C
9:00 AM

I will be there, with my jogging shoes, iPod, and short shorts... ready to take on the longest run on my life (to date).

Wish me Luck!!! 
(It could be worse. I do live right by Central Park, and running around the reservoir is one of the most beautiful things to do.)



5 comments:

Who Knew . . . said...

oh boy! monday morning is going to hit me like a ton o bricks! oh well bring it on.

Liliya said...

good luck - one day ill also run something more that my walk/jog routine

Jansen Gunther said...

you know that little sentence about 'swimsuits' and 'male attention' - you know that question mark didn't belong at the end of it.

Unknown said...

and you bought your roommate COOKIES!.. lol

Rustino Scar said...

i guess this didn't happen?